Expert Iconexpert advice MORE

Where Can I Find 504 Modifications?

LD and ADD/ADHD Expert Advice from Eileen S. Marzola, Ed.D.

Q: Where can I find a list, or some kind of summary, that details what specific modifications I can ask the school to make for my child under 504 regulations? I've had counselors say, "Yes, we can do this," or "No, we can't do that," but I just have to take their word for it because I can't find anything in writing.

A: You can't find a list because specific modifications are not in the law. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 guarantees that all agencies that receive federal financial assistance provide "access" to individuals with disabilities. Historically, this law has been used to require public agencies (including schools) to install wheelchair accessible ramps and restrooms, interpreters at meetings, etc. It also requires school districts to guarantee that children with disabilities are provided "access" to educational programs and services by providing note takers, readers, interpreters, technology, etc.

Although the law does not list specific accommodations/modifications, you can find that information in other resources. For example, in his book, Problem Solver Guide for Students with ADHD, Harvey C. Parker lists three pages of possible accommodations parents might ask for. You can also have a look at Lawrence M. Siegel's The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child. Finally, check out the website of Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders for tips on obtaining modifications or accommodations in your child's program under Section 504.

More on: Expert Advice

For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.


8 Epic Emoji-Themed Crafts, Activities & Recipes
Check out the best emoji crafts, activities, and recipes! They're perfect for an emoji-themed birthday party or anytime you need DIY (and screen-free!) summer activities for kids, tweens, and teens.

Find Today's Newest & Best Children's Books
Looking for newly released books for your child? Try our Book Finder tool to search for new books by age, type, and theme!

10 Free Summer Learning Worksheets
Print these free printables for preschoolers and kindergarteners to help your child's mind stay sharp until September!

Ready for Kindergarten?
Try our award-winning Kindergarten Readiness app! This easy-to-use checklist comes with games and activities to help your child build essential skills for kindergarten. Download the Kindergarten Readiness app today!

stay connected

Sign up for our free email newsletters and receive the latest advice and information on all things parenting.

Enter your email address to sign up or manage your account.

Facebook icon Facebook icon Follow Us on Pinterest

editor’s picks