5 Tips for Parents of Reluctant Readers
Would your child rather clean up his room than pick up a book? These five tips from reading expert Marie Carbo can help you get your child back on the right reading track.
- Make reading relaxing and low-key for a short part of the day.
- Read aloud some funny or interesting parts of your favorite book.
- Draw your child in with a riddle book for kids, a passage from Sports Illustrated, or a newspaper story.
- If your kid likes a movie, see if it's based on a book, then bring home the book.
- For kids who have lost the motivation to read, use material that's intensely interesting to them. Your child may almost have to disassociate what he's doing at school with the act of reading something for fun.
Make reading fun for your kids! Try these games to spark their interest in books.
More on: Reading Difficulties