The Giving Tree Discussion Questions
The Giving Tree is a wonderful story about the gift of giving and the capacity to love. Take this opportunity to discuss the points the story is making, and help your child understand what The Giving Tree is really about.
1. At the end of the story, are you happy or sad? Why?
2. If you could change one part of the story, what part would you change? Why?
3. How is the tree like a real person?
4. Can you think of people you know whot are like the tree?
5. Every time the boy returns, the tree asks him to play; but the boy always has an excuse not to. Why do you think the boy does this?
6. Why does the tree do so much for the boy?
7. Do you think the tree does too much for the boy?
8. Each time the boy accepts the tree's help, the narrator tell us, "And the tree was happy." How does this make you feel?
9. When you read it again at the end of the story, how do you feel?