Parent-Teacher Conference Kit
In This Article:
- What do you think each of us can do so we will be able to work together smoothly this year?
- Can we avoid involving my child in our differences?
- Can we find some areas of agreement on how to help my child succeed in school?
- Would you please give me your views on our areas of disagreement?
- May I tell you why I don't agree with your views on ____?
Tips for talking to the teacher:
- Bite your tongue, and make an effort to get along with the teacher. An antagonistic relationship will not help your child.
- If you have done something to offend the teacher, be sure to offer a sincere apology.
- Try to be open-minded about differences that you have with the teacher, and listen to his or her views.
- Look for something positive, and praise the teacher for these efforts.
- If it will be difficult for you and the teacher to have an effective conference, then ask for the principal, assistant principal, guidance counselor, or another teacher to be present as a mediator.
More on: Relating to the Teacher